EPICO KlimaInnovation is a new think tank that develops sustainable, market- and innovation-oriented approaches to climate neutrality from the centre of society. As a network for key actors from politics, business, science and civil society, we set a socially broad-based agenda for climate and energy policy and contribute to its implementation in order to reconcile environmental and climate protection, economic growth and social compatibility.
The Konrad Adenauer Foundation (KAS) is a political foundation that is active throughout Germany. KAS foreign offices oversee more than 200 projects in over 120 countries worldwide. As a think tank and consulting agency, KAS develops scientific foundations, up-to-date analyses and recommendations for political action on the basis of Christian democratic principles. Its focus is on the question of how ambitious climate policies can be implemented in the most sustainable way possible.
Four themes, one goal: climate neutrality
We can achieve the goal of climate neutrality only if we make the right decisions in the next legislative period. In the Policy Accelerator for Climate Innovation, we are therefore developing innovation-oriented solution proposals for four key issues that can be taken up and implemented at federal and European policy level by 2025:
- CO2 pricing
- Market design
An innovative approach with political traction
With the Policy Accelerator for Climate Innovation, we are breaking new ground, because innovations need a coordinated and networked approach.
- Diverse participants: In inter-disciplinary teams, we pool expertise from politics, business, civil society and academia who work in a goal-oriented manner.
- Agile methodology: We use dynamic, international state-of-the-art methods.
- Reality check: The teams are supported by renowned challengers from business, politics, science and civil society who question their proposals and give ideas for further development.
- Political relevance: The process enables ideas and concepts to be presented to and discussed with decision-makers from Germany and the EU.
- Curated network: Participants benefit from an interdisciplinary network that brings together key players in climate and energy policy with innovators.
- Digital format: Three inter-connected, exciting digital workshops as a "sprint" until the summer break are completed by a kick-off and a mid-term event with top-class participants from politics, business and science.
Kick-Off (May 5, 2021)
With EU Commissioner Kadri Simson and Andreas Jung MdB, Deep Dive into the Problem Statements of the key issues
Deeply engaging with Challengers on the Problem Statements
Developing and condensing approaches to solutions
Reviewing and further developing the solution approaches with Challengers
Midterm event (June 24, 2021)
Discussion and presentation of the results in the form of four thematic concept papers
Since September, the results of the Policy Accelerator have been developed in greater detail. Among other things, they were incorporated into the study on the German National Hydrogen Strategy (in German), which we prepared and presented in cooperation with the Konrad Adenauer Foundation.
In the coming year, we will build on the results of the Policy Accelerator 2021 and develop further concrete elements for a climate and energy policy innovation agenda. More to follow soon here and on our social media channels. Sign up here to stay up to date with our newsletter (in German).